For ten years, Shore Radiation Oncology has partnered with Hackensack-Meridian Cancer Care to provide a revolutionary alternative cancer treatment option for patients in New Jersey. Shore Radiation Oncology was among the first to bring CyberKnife radiosurgery treatment to the New York-New Jersey region in 2005. The Cyberknife Center at Riverview Medical Center stands as one of a limited number of medical facilities in the U.S. to offer patients access to the CyberKnife System.
CyberKnife is a painless, non-invasive robotic radiosurgery system used for treating benign tumors, malignant tumors and other medical conditions. Using targeted radiation beams, CyberKnife can target and track specific tumors within any part of the body, including otherwise difficult to reach or inoperable tumors, without any incision or use of a scalpel. In certain cases, the precision of CyberKnife treatment can reduce a patients’ radiation program from as many as 40 treatments to 5 fractions or less.
CyberKnife has the capability to track a tumor’s actual location while treatment is administered, providing the sub millimeter accuracy needed to destroy the tumor while sparing healthy tissues and organs from the harmful effects of radiation. Plus, because it is non-invasive, and requires no sedation, it has fewer expected complications related to the actual procedure than traditional open surgery. This can leads to better quality of life for a patient both during and after treatment. CyberKnife requires no recovery time, and treatments are routinely administered on an outpatient basis.
More than 1,600 patients have found new hope with Cyberknife treatment. Cyberknife is medically appropriate for the treatment of a variety of cancers, including:
- Re-treatment after previous radiation therapy
To contact the Cyberknife center directly, please call 732-530-2468.
To see if you are a candidate for Cyberknife treatment, please schedule a consultation with any of the physicians of Shore Radiation Oncology at the nearest facility to you for a review of your specific case and treatment.
CyberKnife has various capabilities that patients benefit from:
- CyberKnife is able to “see” the tumor in real time. CyberKnife takes X-ray images throughout treatment to determine the tumor’s position. If the tumor moves, the CyberKnife will move in response, maintaining ultimate precision. Other radiation systems work only from pre-treatment images and are unaware of the tumor’s actual position during treatment.
- CyberKnife is designed to deliver “frameless” treatment. This means it does not require a head frame screwed into the skull for immobilization, which can cause pain, headache, nausea and risk of infection.
- CyberKnife’s frameless design provides the flexibility to perform radiosurgery in either a single day or over multiple days. This helps to ensure the safest and most effective course of treatment for each individual.
The XSight® Lung Tracking System
- Provides an alternative treatment for medically inoperable patients with lung cancer or metastatic disease to the lung
- Intelligently tracks, detects and corrects for tumor movement with continual image guidance throughout the treatment
- Dynamically tracks targets that move with respiration
- Minimizes irradiation of healthy tissue and critical structures
- Allows patients to breathe normally–no complex gating or painful breath-holding techniques
Lung Optimized Treatment (LOT) – Eliminating the need for even a single incision
LOT is an enhancement to the CyberKnife System that offers a powerful, non-invasive approach to lung cancer treatment. This leading-edge technology enables physicians to treat lung cancer tumors without surgically implanting fiducial markers in a patient to track the tumor and deliver targeted radiation therapy. Instead, the technology uses cameras and medical imaging to determine the tumor location in real time and ensure the CyberKnife remains locked on target for the entirety of patient treatment.